: when money isn’t a motivator :

That’s not good. The enthusiastic pursuit of financial security is both healthy and worthwhile, not to mention practical. The problem is, I haven’t a practical bone in my body. Not one. Anywhere.

Most people think this breezy indifference to wealth is a character flaw and they’re utterly mystified by it. Especially men, they think I’m an alien. But I think it’s liberating. Don’t get me wrong, I like money, it’s very handy. You can buy nice things and go nice places; you can indulge your every desire; you’re treated like royalty when you have gobs of cash. Meh, I’m fine with my small, but very lovely life.

My attitude is, and has always been, money’s the easiest thing in the world to replace. Think about it. We can’t ever replace the time we waste or the energy we spend or even the love we invest. We toss that stuff around without a second thought. But money? Oh, no. That we handle with neurotic, rigorous care. We chase and strive and scramble with exhausting vigilance.

But you know what? Money is a renewable resource. Lose it, waste it, throw it away, we can make more. Besides, there’s the possibility a check is in the mail, too, just ask someone who owes you. The absolute best part of having a cavalier approach to money, though, is being immune to bribery or influence. You get to live by your own rules and standards, whatever those may be. Money isn’t a lure. I like that. No, correction, I love that.

I drive a 17-year old car and live in t-shirts and Levi’s. My idea of the high life is a fat, greasy cheeseburger and a milkshake. I can rent movies and borrow books from the library, bask under the heat lamp in winter and lounge on the balcony in summer. I want for nothing.

Okay, one thing: I’d like politicians to stop vilifying me as an undesirable pariah just because I’m poor.  There are better reasons, you know. ¹ Besides, I’m not the one walking around with my hand out and selling my soul to the highest bidder. Those dudes are flat-out moochers and they’re a disgrace.

copyright © 2017 the whirly girl

¹ I can be obnoxious and argumentative, stubborn, loud, and unpredictable. For a complete list of off-putting characteristics, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: thewhirlygirl, c/o the Internet. Thank you for your continued support.

Advertisements

29 Responses to “: when money isn’t a motivator :”

1. ABera

There is another side of money not being the motivator. I ask myself, if money is not the motivator, then what is? A motivation like ‘money’ is tangible, therefore making us question our deeds less often by the words- ‘what am I doing all this for’. Imagine living with the idea of ‘saving the world’ as a motivator, and being a cynic, while at it!

P.S.- I hope you never let go of the happiness of devouring that cheeseburger, whether or not you are down.

Liked by 1 person

• the whirly girl

Aw, thanks! You know, I asked myself the exact same question and decided to let happy be my motivator. Heck, it’s in the Declaration of Independence — the pursuit of happiness thing :o)

Liked by 1 person

• ABera

How is it working for you-letting happiness be the motivation? Does it work, consistently? Or do you switch to smaller and more achievable objectives every now and then? :)

Liked by 1 person

2. enniyaya

LOL but the recommended continued reading right below this is “money, boys and girls, is freedom” xD
    I agree that money isn’t a huge motivator for me, but I want it for the freedom… I’m not much of a luxury type of person, but I like eating out, traveling, and having my own place (which has yet to happen… sigh…)

Liked by 1 person

3. aintwegotitmade

Wow..so wise Whirly! Trouble is, I think the realisation that you don’t need much money to feel good, doesn’t set in until either you’ve got lots more cash than you need (but you’re not happy), or you’re old, and you’ve got stuff you’ve accumulated coming out of your ears (umm..not hair..or wax). ..but you’re still not happy. So, if neither of these apply to you..you’re way ahead of the game dear…and you can just spend your precious time washing less socks and eating cheeseburgers with people you love! jx

Liked by 3 people

4. esidibeh

I agreed with that points of truth about money Whirly Girl. We are the ones that give money the value it has and we have the power to denigrate that value.

To make money, you have to somehow waste money because it takes money to make money.

Money is energy so are you, the more clear and worthwhile responsibilities you have, the more money you can make to sustaining your desires.

Liked by 1 person

5. stoneyfish

Couldn’t agree more. Money is nice but happiness is nicer.

And I chuckled when I read the footnote, too. I’d send for your list of failings but I just can’t find a stamp right now.

Liked by 1 person

6. Straddle the Turtle

Awesome post! You’ve got your priorities totally in the right place as far as I’m concerned. I envy your simple life and aspire to follow your example. Thank the gods my spouse handles the finances in this household; he has to stop me from giving all we have to needy causes, otherwise according to him we would be the next needy cause for our descendants. I have no clue about money.

Liked by 1 person

• the whirly girl

I’m not sure it’s priorities, it could be incompetence. Like you, I need a spouse to handle the little things like money — not that I have any to handle, you understand 🙄

Liked by 1 person

7. ultrachemistry

Money. Money is only a subjective idea. The worth, is only what we say it is. $1 is only worth that because, we put a random value to a piece of linen paper, that as a picture. Wealth, is just like money. It’s a concept, we as humans, define as we go though the ages. Notice what wealth was in the 1800’s, 1900’s and now the 21st century? Somewhere, about the mid 1980’s, its been an excuse to be stupid, and wild. Now, such things as Gold, Silver, Diamonds (and various stones) and Copper, that are natural, and come from the earth. Are rare elements, what actually sets their value, is, the fact that they are hard to come by. The idea of Wealth, is also subjective, from country to country, and people to people. Yes, it would be nice to be able to go into your huge “Scrooge McDuck basement vault” and pull out a bag of $100’s, and you go out for the night, very few people have that type of wealth. Really, its all tied up in banks, and almost all super wealth, is virtual, in the terms of cold hard money. You know, having say, $100 dollars in actual gold coins, is better then a $100 bill. Because, Gold and the alike, will always be wanted. A piece of paper, saying $100, is just a promise, the Federal Reserve will back it, in America. That’s pretty much the standard for most paper money, the world over. In theory, you could, get toilet paper, and write $1,000,000, give it Federal Reserve Serial number on it, and its legal for that amount. To me, that’s a little scary. You know, they make $500, $1,000, $5,000 Bills, for large corporate deals. they use to make $10,000. $25,000. 50 and $100,000 Bills, pre Depression…. I digress. I just find the need for wealth is just food for people’s selfishness. No, money is needed, true. But really, do you really need more stuff to keep track of? I’d rather go and see places, feeding my brain and soul. Not, so much something to put on my shelf, maybe, a really neat collection of photo books. There is my two cents, or is really two cents now? What is there to back it? ;-)

Liked by 1 person

• the whirly girl

Very well said. We all have too much stuff and get trapped into housing it and safeguarding it and acquiring more to keep it company. I don’t want to dust it all. Life should be more fun and games, less housekeeping obligations :o)

Liked by 1 person

8. me1979dot

Money is a basic necessity. If you go out of your house to go to work, you need to gas up. Going to the market place requires money to buy groceries. In short, it is involved in all transaction. For me, the motivator is your goals and plans and how to achieve all that requires you to make more money…cheers…may you pockets be filled with more of THESE

Liked by 2 people

• the whirly girl

Yep, the acquisition of money for money’s sake is a pretty empty ambition. But we all need it to survive. Thanks so much for taking the time to put your thoughts into words, I appreciate it!