: so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu :

Well, it has finally and officially come to this, my final post as The Whirly Girl. And you know what? The occasion feels a lot less Von Trapp family than Whitesnake — ‘And here I go again on my own, Going down the only road I’ve ever known …’

Although letting go is hard, doing a third-rate job week after week after week is much harder. I assure you, there’s no joy in cranking out forgettable, overworked ideas. It sucks the life out of you. Nowadays, before I’ll even sit at a computer, I put on a helmet. Okay, I’m exaggerating, but not by much. Frustration I’m used to; it’s the scared that’s new.

The only thoughts rolling around in my head these days are: Where’s the lyrical? Where’s the funny? Where did original go? Am I all washed up? That kind of thinking doesn’t lead to happiness. See, I like to take pride in the stuff I do, rather than be embarrassed by it. So off I go to … um, give me a minute.

Fine, I’ve no destination in mind, okay? No plan, no goal, as usual. Disaster probably lies dead ahead, but at least it will be a new disaster, which will be refreshing. The Whirly Girl will stay right where it is for the time being, but sooner or later I’ll gather up the courage to take it down. I’m hoping for sooner, since cleaning up appeals to the compulsive in me.

Thanks to each one of you for being such kind, loyal supporters. I’ve appreciated every reader, every Like, and every Comment you left here. Your visits kept me going, you kept me trying, you kept me hoping. I’ll miss you guys like an arm. I mean it.

Stay safe, kids, and good luck to us all.

copyright © 2020 the whirly girl

34 Responses to “: so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu :”

1. Stuart Danker

Aww this is such a bummer, because I’d just stumbled across your blog and I actually enjoyed reading this post. I didn’t find it unoriginal nor forgettable. Still, you gotta do what you gotta do, and you know yourself best, so I’m wishing you great things to come after this.

Liked by 1 person

2. JumbledRambles

I have always loved reading your posts even if I didn’t reply all too often. Really sorry to see you go and that you feel this way. Will miss your posts popping up in my inbox. You do you though, find the person behind Whirly Girl and who knows you might find your way back some day.

Liked by 1 person

• the whirly girl

What a lovely comment, thank you❣️ I’ll miss having my posts pop up in your inbox, I really will. It’s going to take some getting used to, not having a place to park my thoughts, but maybe that’s a good thing. A little bit of upheaval might be just the thing. Keep a light on for me.

3. Simon Gale

Oh no. I have never found you “forgettable”.
    I wish you the best of luck in whatever venture you choose next, but I will miss you: the first blog I ever followed.
    Good luck.

Liked by 1 person

• the whirly girl

Aw, you’re killing me, you know? I’ll miss you, too, and I’m deeply honored to be your first follow. I wish you all wonderful things, thank you for your kindness :o)

4. SilkPurseProductions

I pushed that damn “like” button even though I really don’t like this. Not one bit. I don’t like this at all. I will miss my Sista from another Mista (and Mother). That being said… Stay safe. Be happy. Do what is good for you.

5. aintwegotitmade

WordPress will be a lesser place without The Whirly Girl. I hope she will re-incarnate as who she really is – funny, witty; crafting well-drafted pieces of entertainment, comment and observation…but I reckon that even if she doesn’t, it’s because she’s metamorphising into something even better. Bye Whirly! We’ll miss u.

Liked by 1 person

6. Maricel

Oh please, don’t go. I will miss you terribly, Whirly Girl. I’ve always loved reading your blog because, not only do I love your writing style but also I felt a connection to what you went through, even at this difficult moment.

Liked by 1 person

• Maricel

Thank you. I’m looking forward to that. You know what, I don’t always visit WP but when I do, I try to visit your blog to see if you’ve written something new.

Good luck to you, Whirling Girl! Sending you some virtual hug from this side of the world!

7. 1pointperspective

I know the feeling. I look at my blog occasionally and feel like I’m neglecting it (because I am). It’s tough to say goodbye, but you needn’t worry – many of us will still be here, to varying degrees. It’s been fun! Good Luck!

• the whirly girl

It has been a gas‼️ I’ll miss being whirly girl, of course, but I’ll miss all of you guys more. You were a fun bunch to write for! Thanks, I wish you all the best, Dave. And who knows, maybe we’ll both find our way back?

8. ABera

Writing a farewell post is hard, I imagine. It may also be necessary in some aspects. I remember closing blogs without any farewell post, which felt incomplete. I would like to affirm though, that your writing was always original. If you mean to find the ‘original’ in a deeper sense, I understand that and appreciate your final post. I wish you the very best in your next venture, dear Whirly Girl.

• the whirly girl

How sweet, thank you! The farewell post was easy compared to making the decision to quit. But I’m ready for a new path or another incarnation or just a long vacation. Time will tell, right? In the meantime, stay safe and happy.

9. Son of Groucho

I too have only recently discovered your blog. Very sorry to hear that you are drawing it to a close, but you clearly have your reasons. All the very best for your future exploits!